TMJ Disorder Treatment
TMJ Disorder Treatment
What Are Dental Veneers?
Your temporomandibular joint (‘TMJ’) moves thousands of times a day. But when joint pain becomes debilitating, it can impact everything from your diet to how often you smile. This painful condition is known as temporomandibular joint disorder (‘TMD’ or ‘TMJD’).
Causes of TMJ Disorder
The cause of your TMJ pain will play a big role in determining the best path toward treatment. Since underlying issues can impact your joints differently, it’s crucial to identify all of the factors at play.
TMJ disorder is frequently due to things like
- Clenching and Grinding (Bruxism) — When your mouth is at rest, your lips should be touching but the teeth slightly apart. However, some people tend to clench their TMJ, bringing their teeth into a full, tight contact during the day or while they’re sleeping. The tension might even be so strong that they wear their teeth against one another, resulting in chipped or flattened enamel. Such joint stress can directly impact your TMJ.
- A Stressful Workplace or Home Life — There may not be a lot you can do about it but lifestyle factors like a stressful career, being a special-needs parent or going through emotional stresses (such as losing a family member or going through a divorce) can cause you to clench your teeth.
- Sleep Apnoea — People with sleeping disorders will frequently tighten their TMJ, waking up with pain and joint stiffness.
- Traumatic Injuries — A hit to the mouth, automobile accident or past athletic injuries could be the cause of your TMD.
- Misaligned Teeth — If your teeth and jaws don’t meet together properly, your TMJ may be accommodating for the misalignment every time you’re eating. The atypical motions can gradually take a toll on your joints.
General Dentistry at Total Dental Care
We know the importance of finding the right dentist for your family is paramount. When it comes to your oral health needs, we promise to be there for you every step of the way. At Total Dental Care, our dentists are proud to offer the general dentistry services you need when you need them most. Whether you simply need a cavity filled or maybe you’re due for a routine cleaning, you can rest assured that your teeth are in safe hands with some of the most qualified dentists in the country. There are many choices out there, but we guarantee that quality is never compromised when you choose us. Our service is excellent, our staff is friendly and professional, and your experience will always be positive.
At our Maroubra practice, we want to help patients of all walks of life beam with confidence—and that often means creating or restoring a beautiful smile. We’re proud to offer a variety of different treatments that we know can help you unlock the smile of your dreams.
How Do I Know if I Have TMD?
- TMJ pain
- Difficulty opening
- Pain when chewing
- Frequent teeth clenching
- Migraines or headaches
- Muscle fatigue through your head, ne;ck and shoulders
- Pops or clicking sounds
If you’re experiencing these symptoms at least a few times a month, it’s best to talk to Dr Mark (Dentist) about whether or not you have TMJ disorder.
Treatment for TMJ Pain
After you’ve identified the cause of your TMD, you can take steps toward an effective care plan. Depending on our findings during your TMJ exam and the pain you’re experiencing, we may recommend one or more of the following therapies.
Occlusal Splints — Bite splints and night guards are some of the most effective ways to treat TMJ pain. Especially if your TMD is due to clenching, grinding or stress. It’s best to wear through a TMJ splint than it is your tooth enamel! These splints train your jaws to relax, naturally easing tension around the joints and face.
Injectable Medications — Cosmetic injectables aren’t just for minimising fine lines and wrinkles. They can also relax tense muscles around your TMJ, providing relief for up to several months at a time.
Teeth Straightening — Adjusting the alignment of your upper and lower teeth will make it easier for your TMJ to function normally on a day-in, day-out basis.
Meditation or Massage — Stress management comes in a variety of ways. From meditation and mindfulness to professional massage, easing the tension inside of your body can help you perform better physically.
It’s fairly common to experience occasional TMJ pain. However, if you’re seeing daily discomfort or altering your diet because of joint pain, it’s best to talk to us about TMJ treatment Maroubra.
* Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.